Champions

Champions

Djokovic sinks Nadal to clinch maiden W title


London. Serbian supernova Novak Djokovic won his first Wimbledon title by stamping his authority over defending champ Rafael Nadal. Making it a double celebration, Djokovic has also taken over as the new world number one.

Djokovic beat Nadal in four sets – 6-4, 6-1, 1-6, 6-3, ending the Nadal-Federer era on grass court.

The 24 year old produced a staggering display to take the first two sets before reigning champion Nadal fought his way back in the third set showing why he has won his last 20 matches.

However this was little more than a blip for the new world number one Djokovic who traded breaks with his opponent at the start of the fourth set before seizing the momentum again and closing out the contest for his first Wimbledon title.

Djokowic was on cloud nine when he clinched on the match point as Nadal went long with a backhand in the fourth set. He hurled racket after racket into the racket before chewing a few grass twigs out of the ground. “I felt like an animal; I wanted to see how it tastes,” Djokovic said. “It tastes good.”

“It is hard to find the right words. This is the best day of my life and a tournament I have always dreamt of winning, the first I ever saw on TV. I feel I am still dreaming,” Djokovic said after the presentation ceremony.

“When you are playing the best player in the world, Rafa, who has won two of the last three Wimbledons and always beaten me in the grand slams, I had to be at the top of my game and I think I played my best game on the grass courts ever.”

No comments:

Post a Comment