Champions

Champions

Federer’s bastion breached yet again

London. King of grass court, Roger Federer, who has won six Wimbledon tournaments and came here with a dream of clinching on his seventh title was doomed by 12th seed Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Tsonga staged an epic comeback after losing the initial two sets of the match beating Federer 3-6, 6-7 (3), 6-4, 6-4, 6-4.

He was absolutely ecstatic after the match, "It was just amazing today, I played unbelievable, everything was in,"

"That's crazy, he is the biggest champion in my sport, he achieved a lot of things. He is the best player in the world and I'm just so happy to beat him, especially on grass as it is one of his best surfaces." Tsonga said.

It was business as usual for Federer as he comfortably won the first two sets and looked all set for a semifinal berth before the 23-year old Frenchman found his rhythm. The athletically build man then unleashed a power packed performance and outplayed the 16 time Grand Slam winner to set up his semifinal date with Djokowich on Friday.

"I think Jo played great from start to finish, I don't remember a break point after the first game," Federer told reporters after the match.

"Except the score, many, many things went right. I'm pretty pleased with my performance, it's hard going out of the tournament that way. I think he played an amazing match, he didn't give me many chances."

Federer was also ousted from the tournament last year at the same stage when he was beaten by Thomas Berdych.

No comments:

Post a Comment